Simply Beautiful.

Every day we are faced with the choice- how can I make life better today? What can I say, do, make, give or be to make my life and the lives of others better. Here I want to focus on the positives of life in each day, in each moment. By choosing how we answer those questions in a positive way, we make the world a better place for every single one.



I am trying a new format starting today. I will be posting Studio project and shop updates on Mondays. Each Wednesday I will post a "World Wednesday" update with things found in nature, or other nature related topics. On Fridays I will post a tip or project I suggest. Hopefully it will be a fun and exciting change!

All images and texts are copyrighted, please contact me for permission to use anything you see here.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How to Hold A Butterfly











For some reason my little one has been able to touch butterflies since she was a tiny baby.  She would reach out her shaking, chubby little hand and they would just sit there, poised on a flower and let her pet their wings.  I was fascinated by her luck- I certainly could not get away with it!  I guess it's another one of those times when animals can sense the true intention and age of another being.  After several summers though, we have come up with a way for anyone of any age to pet butterflies.  If you can slip your finger up under the butterfly, next to their feet you are much more likely to have contact with them than if you come straight at their backs.  The butterflies don't seem as likely to fly off when you slip up beside and under them.  You can see in the last picture that my daughter has slid her finger up under the the back edge of the butterfly's wings.  She was able to touch the underside of the wings, and then the tops.  It's as if they just think it's another part of a flower that's brushing up against them.  You can also get a butterfly or bee to crawl onto a flower you are holding and pull them up for a closer look.  I did this in the first picture and actually walked around with my guest for a couple of minutes!  It was really amazing!   By being calm and smooth, and coming up below the wings, kids of all ages can touch a butterfly!