Simply Beautiful.

Every day we are faced with the choice- how can I make life better today? What can I say, do, make, give or be to make my life and the lives of others better. Here I want to focus on the positives of life in each day, in each moment. By choosing how we answer those questions in a positive way, we make the world a better place for every single one.



I am trying a new format starting today. I will be posting Studio project and shop updates on Mondays. Each Wednesday I will post a "World Wednesday" update with things found in nature, or other nature related topics. On Fridays I will post a tip or project I suggest. Hopefully it will be a fun and exciting change!

All images and texts are copyrighted, please contact me for permission to use anything you see here.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Home Made Deodorant

I have been searching high and low for the best homemade deodorant for several months.  My reasons are many.  More and more research is showing links between traditional chemical deodorants and health problems, especially in women.  There have been ties with deodorant and Altzheimer's, and the problems with women involve how closely the chemicals are applied to the lymph nodes near the breasts.  I thought I would go for something else in order to lessen my chances for as much bad stuff as I possibly can!  I have tried several commercial types, from sticks like Tom's to crystal and salt sticks.  No luck.  I've tried just going with baby powder or cornstarch as many of our grandparents did.  This worked better, but I had to apply them several times a day.  Yeah- who as time for that?  So I have been looking at recipes online again and suddenly remembered I had made an unbelievably great find a couple of years ago at a library sale.  I picked up a copy of  Natural Beauty at Home by Janice Cox.  Did it have a deodorant recipe?  No.  It had many!!  Woo Hoo!  I tried the cream style deodorant.  It's made with 1/4 cup of shortening (I know, but it's not as weird once it's all together), 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon baking soda.  I added 1 teaspoon of lavender soaked in witch hazel for my scent.  The next time I do this I will probably try a stronger scent- mine doesn't really smell like anything.  I liked the witch hazel for antiseptic reasons.  So far, on the hottest two days of the summer this deodorant has really worked!!  I only applied a tiny amount in the morning, as I normally would, and life is good!  I will give you another verdict in a week or so, but for now I say two thumbs up- or two arms up?!?  Hah!  That was bad!










Some of my lovely lavender plants pre-bloom.  I can't take any pictures outside right now because the lens will not stop fogging up!  Oh well!