Simply Beautiful.

Every day we are faced with the choice- how can I make life better today? What can I say, do, make, give or be to make my life and the lives of others better. Here I want to focus on the positives of life in each day, in each moment. By choosing how we answer those questions in a positive way, we make the world a better place for every single one.



I am trying a new format starting today. I will be posting Studio project and shop updates on Mondays. Each Wednesday I will post a "World Wednesday" update with things found in nature, or other nature related topics. On Fridays I will post a tip or project I suggest. Hopefully it will be a fun and exciting change!

All images and texts are copyrighted, please contact me for permission to use anything you see here.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Project: Handmade Storage

I started a great project today that covers everything you could ask for in a project.  It's fun, when you are done you have some great storage and your child can help!  You start with cardboard boxes.  If you have a few the same size you can recycle (bonus!).  I do not have two or more of anything in my house- well anything not wearable at least, so I had to work with purchased ones.  I used 12'' square packing boxes from Walmart at $0.64 a piece.  Not too shabby!  I wavered on making a stack of three or a side by side of four.  When we got into it though, my daughter was insistent on what she thought the finished project should be.  She had her hopes set on something shiny, pink, and covered in glitter.  That really didn't fit my color scheme ( I know, I'm so lame!), so I decided to go for one unit for each of us. 

We started out with the boxes and assembled them.  I started with duct tape, but quickly switched to packing tape because it just holds better.



Once Each box was made I put one on top of the other to check for placement.  I moved them around until I was comfortable with the look.  Next I put a fair amount of glue on the top (i.e. one outer side) of the box. Once the other box (without glue)  is put on top the basic shelf unit is done.  The glued surfaces together create the middle shelf.




After the top box is out on, I used packing tape to reinforce each side and the shelf.  You want to put these on in strips vertically.  If you put them across horizontally and cover the whole seam with tape you will have problems with the glue and fabric later.  The glue won't really stick to the tape.  This isn't a problem if there is
enough fabric around the tape for the glue to hold. In order to figure out how much fabric you will need you can lay the shelves on the fabric as you would to wrap a present.  Pull the fabric up and leave at least two inches of over hang to the inside.  I folded the fabric in half both ways and marked a pencil point in the middle to help me find the center.  You can move the fabric a fair amount, but it's nice to have a general idea.


 




After measuring the fabric, flip the shelves upside down so the backs of both were up and ready for glue.  I did this project on a tile floor for easy cleanup.  I would not suggest doing it on a rug.  You will most likely have some contact with a sticky fabric surface so choose wisely!  If you don't have tile a large garbage bag will work too!



Pull the fabric across the back to pull out any wrinkle.  Do each long side in the same manner, by turning the side up t the top.  Always rub the fabric and pull the fabric from the glued surface out toward the non glued side.  When you get ready to do the top and bottom, cut the short side so that it overhangs by a couple of inches.  Use the fabric fro the long back side to create the top.  Glue down the side fabric pieces, then spread glue on the fabric flaps and the rest of the top.




Stay tuned!!  This post was so huge I'm going to post the insides and final products this weekend!!